Friday, December 31, 2010

1-My Childhood & English Learning

Good evening everyone. My name is WEIYU.
It’s my honor to introduce myself in this meeting.
The meaning of WEI is books made of leather and YU is the name for Chinese brush. The reason my parents gave me the name with book and pen is that they want me good at reading and writing. However, I prefer watching cartoons and animations, especially Disney one.
I also like to see the musical, such as Jekyll and Hyde, the phantom of the opera and Lion king. I enjoy the breath-taking stage settings and touching story.
My dream is traveling around the world and eating delicious food but gain no pounds. I have several stories about me want to share, due to the time limit. Today, I’m going to share my childhood and my English learning story.
I born in a historical town, where is popular recently because of this movie- MONGA(艋舺). My parents owns men’s clothes stand at night market next to Longshan temple(龍山寺). Since I was 7, I need to help them set up the stand after school till 12. Later on, they rent a shop to expand the business and instead of stand-setting.
Due to MONGA is a famous scenic spot, sometimes you need to do the business with foreign travelers. My Dad knows the importance of English. One day, I got the DM from English school, he thought I want to learn then registered for me right away. I started my classes, but I couldn’t speak with foreigners and made my Dad upset.
I try to find out my problem, I told my Dad, ”I think my English poor, the reason is I never been to America!”
Therefore I grasped the chance to America. I stayed in home stay in CA for one month in 16 and was US politics intern in Washington DC for 2 months in 26. However my English communication didn’t improved.
I didn’t give up and kept practicing. I got the internship in Walt Disney World 2 years ago. In order to pursuing my Disney and English dream, I resigned my original job and flied to Orlando as a concierge in several resorts.
Besides working 40 hours a week, I took hospitality management classes in University of Central Florida and Disney University twice a week. I passed the training class and on job training. I still remembered the first day I do on my own, it was Saturday morning. Can you believe that? There were lots of guests occupied the lobby and waited to check-in. I did very slow and couldn’t understand some guests’ request. It was a frustrated moment, I came here so far away to here, but didn’t see any performance.
One day, I found a good way to practice English, is toll free numbers! I called cell-phone company and Disney reservation number, tried to ask more questions to practice my listening comprehension and communication skill in several days. WOW! I improved a lot, even difficult assent.
I just realize that the best way to build communication ability is learning by doing!
Most people know I’m one of the members to run the Far Eastern International Bank toastmasters club. When I was student, my friends invited me join, but I refused, because I afraid to deliver speech in public, even English!
Now, I’m standing here deliver the speech. I never think about that I need to join it and to run the toastmasters club for our company! If we prepare ourselves all the time, then the chance will come to us! Just dare to speak, dare to dream!

No comments: